Wikipedia entry on Airships, and the USS Macon (ZRS-5)

This list has been dormant for quite a while. Here's a link with lots of
good info and history about airships:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airship

And since it's on Wikipedia, you're welcome to add to it if you know some
info that's not already included. (Like this list, for example. :-) It's
late, so I may leave that for another time, or one of you, if you beat me to
it...)

One of the interesting links they have there is to a page for the USS Macon
(ZRS-5), which was a rigid airship that was lost off the coast of
California 70 years ago (Feb 12, 1935), rather close to where I live.
(Within 100-200 miles, anyway.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Macon_%28ZRS-5%29

I think it currently lies in about 300' off water, and have been curious
since learning of it a few years ago as to what (if anything) remains of
it. I'm not sure what metals were used in the frames, but I thought
Magnesium might have been a major component. If it hasn't been dissolved by
the sea, it probably makes for an interesting (and likely quite eerie)
underwater site, with a massive "ribcage" rising up from the ocean floor,
possibly as much as 1/3 to 1/2 way to the surface, given the large size of
those ships. (Possibly home to a reef community, now? Dunno.)

It would be neat to find out if there's a wreck there. Maybe we could
somehow convince MBARI (http://www.mbari.org/) to investigate. They've got
the right tools and people for it.

Heh...Looks like they've already "been there, done that", back in 1991!

http://www.mbari.org/itd/retrospective/first.pdf 	(page 6)
http://www.mbari.org/itd/retrospective/full_text.pdf	(page 11)

Man! The web is cool! :-)

Self contained, off-the-grid, autonomous houses: http://reality.sculptors.com/
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts
can be counted."				-- Albert Einstein