Car crashes a growing cause of death, U.S. study says

Found this one in today's ClariNews... All the more reason for autopilots...

Speaking of which, this list has been very quiet. Sorry about that. I've been

meaning to post more data here about what sorts of things I'd like to discuss

and eventually accomplish with this list. I'll try to post more soon...

    Patrick  Salsbury                    ClariNet Communications Corp.
    patrick at clari dot net | 408-296-0366 x131 | http://www.clari.net/~patrick/

  Many years ago, I first drank from the Well of Knowledge. Now, I maintain
     the pumps on that Well, so that others may also quench their thirst.

Title: Car crashes a growing cause of death, U.S. study says
Newsgroups: news.trouble.accidents, biz.industry.automotive, usa.top

Logo [Dec 2] ClariNet story HEALTH-CRASHES from Reuters

Car crashes a growing cause of death, U.S. study says

Copyright 1997 by Reuters ** via ClariNet ** / Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:41:52 PST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - More and more people are being killed in car crashes, and traffic accidents will soon be the third leading cause of death worldwide after heart disease and strokes, U.S. experts predicted Tuesday.

``Traffic-related injuries and deaths are growing worldwide at an alarming rate, and even rising slightly in the United States despite stronger education and law enforcement efforts,'' Transportation Secretary Rodney Slater told a meeting in Washington.

``With nearly 42,000 Americans now dying annually on our nation's highways and nearly half a million dying worldwide, we must join together in a global traffic safety effort -- government and business, science and health professionals, the entertainment and media industries and everyday citizens -- to keep our streets safer and our families more secure,'' he said.

Half a million people are already killed every year in car accidents, a report by the World Health Organization, the World Bank and the Harvard School of Public Health found.

The report, compiled last year as part of the annual Global Burden of Disease study but being re-released at the conference, found that 15 million people were injured every year worldwide in traffic accidents. Most were young men -- a growing population that will peak in the United States between 2005 and 2010.

As poor countries develop their economies and their citizens use cars, accidents will cost more and more lives, conference organizer Hans Holst of Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology said.

``We have to make sure that as developing nations become more mobile, their people have access to injury prevention information,'' Holst told the conference.

bottom [Dec 2] Icon [Dec 2]

Related Links:
For additional information, use these links or links in the article.

o[Reviewed] Center for Auto Safety
The Center for Auto Safety provides consumers a voice for auto safety and quality and helps lemon owners fight back across the country. Their site includes publications, news, membership information, and more.

Search the Internet:
No search forms to fill out: these links lead straight to results pages at various search sites.

Search the Web
Search the Web for pages related to this article.

oHotBot
oInfoseek

Search Web News Sites
Search various news sites on the Web for recent web pages related to this article.

oExcite
oInfoseek

[Go Back] For more information related to "United States", see:
[Reviewed] The World Factbook page on The United States.
Includes a map and extensive information on The United States, covering everything from the government to the economy and geography through defense. One of the best sources for country information on the web.

[Go Back] For more information related to "highways", see:
[Reviewed] Federal Highway Administration
The U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration site contains information on what's new, the organization, upcoming conferences, and more.