Re: Iran Quake

On Wed, 14 May 1997, J. Michael Rowland wrote:
> >  This is the first time I find myself in disagreement with Patrick,
> > I wouldn't give Iran a nickel, I'll give you three reasons why:
> Gues I'm just one of those bleeding heart liberals who doesn't hold those
> thousands of earthquake victims responsible for terrorist acts of their
> government or their countrymen.

WARNING --- WARNING --- SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO DROPPING RAPIDLY --- WARNING

Instead of bashing each other, perhaps it would be more productive to
treat this as a TEMPLATE situation, and see how we would handle it.

General Disaster Relief Considerations:
=======================================
1. What are the immediate needs and logistics involved in supplying initial
food and water for the number of persons in the affected area requiring it from
one or more available sources?

2. What are the present and annual topographical, hydrographical, and
meterological conditions in the affected area?

3. What special health risks may be involved?

4. How will persons requiring assistance react to outside help, both
presently and in the future?

5. What groups, agencies, etc., will be involved in the receipt,
distribution, and setup of materials sent, and what legal restrictions or
requirements may be placed upon them?

\ /
6. What type of emergency shelters will be provided for both immediate and
long-duration relief, and what tools, materials, and training will be
required to move, deploy, and maintain them?
/ \

7. What is the anticipated duration of operations and duration of presence?

8. Will medical, agricultural, or technical personnel be required, and if
so, who will they be provided by?

9. Is the equipment (including shelters) to be loaned or permanently donated?

Applied to a real case, this should generate some interesting thought.