Natural, portable housing

J. Michael Rowland wrote:
>> as lumber." I guess particle board and blandex and chipboard would be considered
> ways of utilizing this "waste." I was thinking of the twigs and

   Actually, an awfully lot of that is made from whole trees that are
just chipped up, not sawn at all into lumber.
   I think as far as natural products go for building purposes, the best
resource, especially for domes, is bamboo -- not only for the struts,
but it is also made into plybamboo, which could be used for the panels,
and bamboo flooring. Plus split and woven mats, dividers, etc. Much more
"renewable" a resource than trees, which take forever to grow. Bamboo is
also an excellent soil-stabilizer for deforested areas.
   Whole villages used to be built on bamboo rafts in China, with
gardens, poultry, cows, and pigs. One emperor (Wu Ti, 140-86BC) even
built a huge castle on a bamboo raft, 600x600 feet with 2000 soldiers
and calvary horses on it. Rafts with 200 families were reported in the
17th century. Just a few years ago some dudes crossed the Pacific from
VietNam on a bamboo raft -- they did it in original style to prove a
point, but much better rafts could be built with modern methods.
   Bucky even built some of his first domes with bamboo in Calcutta.
Bamboo trellis domes covered in concrete have been built in earthquake
areas, and woven bamboo strips are likewise used to reinforce concrete
instead of steel rebar in quake zones.
   Think about it --- a raft with a dome on it, floating on the sea.
Maybe groups of them, coming together, splitting up, gardening
hydroponicly, doing aquaculture -- free of governments, using waste
products like plastic milk jugs for added flotation -- the possibilities
are endless.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver at zebra dot net http://www.zebra.net/~hseaver
"Facts an' facts, an' t'ings an' t'ings: dem's all a lotta fockin'