Sand Filtration for well water with high clay content?

	When I was visiting my family back east this summer, I saw that
they were still having problems with their well water. (It's been giving
them problems for the 4-5 years since they built their new house.) The
water sometimes comes out kinda grey and filled with suspended clay
particles. It's OK for general hand-washing, or even quick showers, but not
something to drink or cook with, so they have to use bottled water for
those things.

	I was suggesting that they might want to consider setting up a
simple sand-filtration cistern down in their cellar, which allowed the well
water to settle, and filter through 8"-12" of sand before feeding into the
house pressure tank. I figured it should be enough to catch the clay
particles, and leave them with clear water that they could use for their
normal food preparation, etc.

	Has anyone dealt with situations like this? Ever done a sand
filter? I've read about various implementations of them, but have never set
one up. Ideas? Experience? Warnings? :-)

		 Patrick G. Salsbury <salsbury at sculptors dot com>
		     http://www.sculptors.com/~salsbury/
	   "I must Create a System or be enslav'd by another Man's.
   I will not reason or compare: my business is to Create." - William Blake