Re: Sand Filtration for well water with high clay content?

     Don't think a sand filter will work.  The problem is that the
     "filter", sand, is bigger than what you're trying to filter out, clay.
      Clay is positively charged and the problem when it is suspended is
     that it won't stick to other clay or floculate. Sodium phosphate
     (Calgon) will cause the clay to floculate and then settle out but as
     you may know, phosphates are nutrients and will cause pollution.
     Among other methods is an anionic eschange or resin exchange, ie.
     water softener.  It has a resin exchange surface that is negatively
     charged and the clay particles will exchange on its suface for sodium.
      Not quite as bad as Calgon but in large cities the salt consuming
     type of water softener is outlawed because of the problems it creates
     in treating sewage not to mentioned leach field salinization.  I'm not
     sure how it goes with septics but the systems are available in most
     places and worth the money.  There are new types that recirculate and
     thus don't consume salt or pollute but they aren't available unless
     you live someplace like L.A. or San Diego where everyone softens their
     water.  There is also reverse osmosis  which uses a micro-pore filter
     (smaller than clay) and many undersink types can filter up to 10
     gallons an hour I think, not sure.  This is the most responsive
     alternative.  If I lived there I'd have one for my shower too.

     Deb