Solar food dehydrator

Hello all,

I'm a lurker from the domehome list. I've been watching this list for a
while trying to get a grip on its' scope. I still have no idea but I
thought I'd try a post anyway. I'm soon to be a refuge from the city,
and I'm looking at ways to set myself up as self-sufficiently as
possible, on 25-50 acres, on the NSW North Coast in Australia. To do
this I have to gain huge amounts of knowledge, most of which I imagine I
will gain in my failures and successes while I try to survive. If anyone
can give me practical advice and ideas to help they would be very
welcome.

What I am looking at building now is a solar food dehydrator. I've
thought up a simple design of a basic box, cut diagonally in half and a
sheet of glass placed over open side. Inside flyscreen racks would be
placed and ventilation holes would be pierced in the bottom of the box
and the top of the backside of the box. As  the air heats up it should
extract moisture from the food and rise though the ventilation holes.
This is a very simple design and should work but any ideas to improve it
would be appreciated. What distance should there be between the racks?
How big should the ventilation holes be? How big should the whole
structure be? Should the inside be painted black to absorb heat or white
to reflect heat? Does anyone have any experience with a solar dryer?

Thanks for your help. If I'm sending this to the wrong list please let
me know, of a more appropriate list.

Andrew

"Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,