[MAMATURTL1@aol.com: Re: How much electricity do you use?]

	This one came only to me, and I think it was meant for the list,
since it was a response to the post there. I only got a couple of responses
to this, though. Anyone else care to pitch in and give us an idea of
general consumption in your area of the world. Also, how many people in
your household?

	I think this is fairly critical, in designing new homes, because I
keep seeing in places like Real Goods and Home Power Magazine that people
live on fairly tight energy budgets, even when they're generating their own
power. Granted, solar cells are still expensive, and battery-banks are,
too. But trying to get a stereotypical/"normal" family to consider moving
off-grid when it cuts into their available power for TV viewing, etc.,
would be a hard-sell.

	So it would seem that we need to make sure there's MORE than enough
power to meet their needs. Enough, in fact, to sell back to the power
companies, so they can make money at the end of the month.

	Speaking of selling power: California has just (as of Jan 1st)
deregulated our power industry. Aside from giving us a 10% decrease in our
monthly rates (can you guess that we were being overcharged?) it also opens
up the industry to national competition. Now we have the option of buying
from suppliers anywhere in the US, who may have lower rates, or use
alternative/"green" power generation methods, etc.

	All-in-all... It looks pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see
what other changes the competition brings.