Re: Re(2): The Corrulite is in!

At 10:42 AM 7/9/98 -0700, you wrote:

>This is facinating.  It is so exciting that something usefull may come
>out of a newsgroup discussion, instead of a series of flames of
>disagreements about math theory.
	That's what it's all about! (The cooperation, not the flames. :-)  )

>As for performance in winds for such a light structure (raised on an
>earlier post that I accidentally deleted), I would imagine that the dome
>would shine in windy situations, as long as it was attached to the
>ground.  With our domes, we do have additional foundation hardware due
>to the fact that the domes are lighter than other structures.  I have
>heard of people not taking care of this and getting bit by the
>consequences.
>
>--
>Thanks,
>
>Nathan Burke,
>Oregon Dome, Inc.

	I've thought about this, some. Affixing to a fixed base or riser wall is
optimal, and was what we planned for in the original cardboard domes we did
in Buffalo for use in Honduras. It was to be a poured concrete pad with
2.5' cinderblock riser wall. On top of this wall were 2x4's, and the
cardboard dome was staple-tacked down to the wooden 2x4's.
	For temporary (disaster relief, spontaneous community events, etc.)
staking to the ground might work, and I've also been curious about the idea
of a large "bungie" cargo-net that covers the dome, and staking that into
the ground. Theoretically, that should be able to withstand quite severe
winds, but would need some real-world testing....

	   Patrick G. Salsbury - http://www.sculptors.com/~salsbury/
      Check out the Reality Sculptors Project: http://www.sculptors.com/