Re: Azores earthquake leaves 10 dead, 90 injured, 1,000 homeless

At 07:57 PM 7/9/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Pat,
>
> You should get a workable diagram of your
>disaster recovery shelter together.
Working on this. We'll have some template drawings soon, and the final product, of course. We'll also have lots of pictures as it goes together, and once it's done.

>Also you should
>check on the availability of the materials (I mean
>call the Corrulite company and say something to the
>effect of "If I wanted 10,000 sheets what would
>be my delivery time".
I've checked into this a bit, and they keep a certain amount of "stock sheets" (96"x60") on hand in various colors and weights, but they also do custom die-cutting and screen printing. My thought is, rather than have us set up a manufacturing plant, have US Corrulite Corp. just stamp out parts as they roll off the mills, printing logos/URLs/info/etc. on them, and ship them out the door from there. They could either go to us, or better yet, directly to an airport where planes are waiting. They have a bit of info about their fabrication capabilities at: http://www.corrugatedplastic.com/convcap.htm

Disasters are happening at least every 6 hours somewhere in the world, and homelessness is at epidemic proportions, so I have a feeling we could probably just have machines running constantly making houses, provided we can deliver them.
Bucky calculated that a single cardboard pressing/cutting machine could stamp out enough parts to make 3000 houses per day. There's definitely demand for that kind of volume, and probably will be for years to come. (I saw a news article recently which called for a reduction in the number of homeless people worldwide over the next 10-12 years or so (I think it was either 2008 or 2010) from the current 800 MILLION people down to a sveldt 400 MILLION. Fidel Castro (of Cuba) spoke out against this number, calling it appalling that we'd leave that many people still homeless. I tend to agree with him.

US Corrulite maintains 2 manufacturing plants with over 110,000 sq. ft. of space, so they should be able to handle good volume. And they aren't the only maker of corrugated plastic, and there are plenty of cardboard manufacturers who could also help out. Cardboard is more than adequate for many applications, and in fact is more suited for some areas, like Honduras (where we were designing for while I was in Buffalo), since there are local industries that can provide the materials. This leads to local jobs, keeping the money in-country, etc.
Thus, we can provide a comprehensive solution that doesn't just patch the immediate problem, but also provides long-term benefits to the local economy.

>Then,
>You should talk to the new guy Richard Gordon and ask him
>what he thinks about the prospects of this years hurricane
>season.
>
>Then,
>You should make a draft proposal to all the major east
>coast metropolitan area governments south of Washington D.C.
>for providing them.
>
>Ciao'
>Malcolm
Excellent ideas, both. Unfortunately, (or perhaps fortunately), this is all beginning to snowball from wild speculation into actual, realistic, business possibilities. I really wasn't planning on starting up a company to do all this *just* yet, as all the resources are not yet in place. But it's starting to look more and more feasible. And as noted, disasters keep happening, don't they?

I mentioned this once before on the list, I think: I'd like to see Reality Sculptors be a central monitoring & dispatch station for disaster relief. (As well as an R&D house to solve other problems.) When something like yesterday's earthquake in Portugal hits, an alarm goes off, and within 3 minutes of our notification, there is a cargo plane loaded with goods and people rolling down the runway heading to help out.

It's sort of like the Red Cross, but done in a private industry fashion. Our services can also be contracted out to governments at the national/state/city level to help out with specific problems in specific areas. I also think we should work WITH the Red Cross, and various other agencies, providing them with resouces, mindpower, and new technologies.

When it comes to a market that's wide-open with demand, I think housing and disaster relief are practically limitless. And if we produce shelters that cost less than $1000, as opposed to the $300,000 *average* pricetag for a house in Silicon Valley right now, we can reach a much broader popluation segment.

Just some thoughts for the morning...

Patrick G. Salsbury - http://www.sculptors.com/~salsbury/
Check out the Reality Sculptors Project: http://www.sculptors.com/