Re: Sealing The Dome

In a message dated 98-07-30 12:46:24 EDT, Malcom you quoted:

<< We've had a number of folks use the elastomeric roofing on domes.  The
 experience has almost universally been that it costs twice as much as a
 comp roof and lasts half as long (hardly a ringing endorsement).  A
 good, professionally installed, comp roof remains the most reliable and
 cost efficient system, although it is certainly possible for individuals
 to install this well themselves. >>

     I have personally roofed at least 6 conventional houses with 3 tab
conventional roofing.  It is hard, demanding work in the best of
circumstances.  It has much going for it in terms of longevity if properly
done.  In most of the roofs that I have done, I have found that the original
roofer had taken shortcuts which resulted in small leaks which caused unseen
damage and caused the roofs to be replaced before their time.
Whether you have a traditional house or a dome, it has to be roofed correctly.
The problem with a dome, is that there are generally more places to mess up
than with a simple type conventional.
     As far as overall cost, the elastomeric is cheaper if you do it yourself.
You can use a long handle roller to give the whole thing a single coat,
including kneewall, in less than 2 hours.   I bought my elastomeric on sale
for $72.00/ 5 gallon bucket.  You should be able to buy it full price for less
than $120/ 5 gallon bucket.  A 5 gallon bucket should give a 24' dome a single
coat.  You will need around 4 coats, depending on how thick you apply it.  You
will also need 1 coat of primer. The cost for conventional 3 tab roofing will
run a little less.  The difference is that you need someone schooling you in 3
tab roofing or you need to hire someone to do it.  If your roofer has been
around the block, he will charge you an arm and a leg to roof your dome with
conventional 3 tab.
     I don't recommend elastomeric for a house simply because it has such a
short warrantee.  But for a workshop or storage building, simply take 2 hours
and recoat the structure every so many years.  My workshop is tinted with a
very very light salmon type coloring.  You can change the tint every time you
recoat.  I suggest that for the first year that anyone paint their dome white,
because the caulk is white, and you can do any repairs without them showing.
Bob