Re: AC or DC?

The Butterfly wrote:

> As alluded to in my last post, I've been thinking about home power, and am
> starting to wonder about putting DC in addition to, or perhaps just in
> place of, AC power in homes.
>
> AC is used because you can transmit it over long distances, but if we're
> generating it on-board, then it only has to go about 50' across the house.
>
> AC is more dangerous than DC, with higher voltages, and more risk of shock.
>
> Most electronics run off of DC, although many have built-in transformers
> and are thus "expecting" AC as a feedstock.
>
> DC lights are (I think) more energy efficient. I'd have to check up on
> this, though.
>
> Solar cells and fuel cells both generate electricity in DC, and batteries
> store (and release) it in DC. Most off-the-grid homes have an "Inverter" to
> convert it back from DC to AC (at some loss in energy) in order to run
> it through 50' of wire to a device "expecting" AC, which then converts it
> back into DC (at another loss in energy) for the actual device to
> use. (Weird, huh?)
>
>         So, how should we approach the issue? I think it makes excellent
> sense to at least offer both (and perhaps two differen DC channels, 12V and
> 24V, although that might get confusing), but the AC seems like a necessary
> evil right now, due to the existing infrastructure and products out
> there.
>
>         There are a lot of DC-ready appliances available through places
> like Real Goods, Jade Mountain, and Home Power Magazine, but it's not so
> common that you'll find at the local drugstore.
>
>         Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?
>
> Pat
>            ___________________Think For Yourself____________________
>            Patrick G. Salsbury - http://www.sculptors.com/~salsbury/
>       Check out the Reality Sculptors Project: http://www.sculptors.com/
>            ---------------------------------------------------------
>          "Brainwash yourself, before someone nasty beats you to it."
>                                                 -World Entertainment War

With the advent of the new? solar shingles, it would seem logical to
sheath the Dome with these and go local solar.  Not sure of the costs,
or adaptability to Domes, but it lookes promising.  My understanding is
that several normal-roofed test homes have been quite successful in
generating enough power to use and send back to the power company.
Question for techies:
how long do solar cells last ?

ron
stevens at gnt dot net