Re: AC or DC?

I think DC is the way to go as far as electronics and lighting but what
about the real power guzzlers like appliances (washers, dryers,
refrigerators, electric stoves & ovens).  Are there efficient DC
versions of these or do we need to keep natural gas or other high energy
source online ?
OR do we need to adopt a turn of last century life style and hang our
clothes online(s) and wash by hand, in other words adopt an Amish life
style ?
I say this only partly in jest. Perhaps some simplification is called
for in some areas.