Re: A newbe question.

At 10:50 AM 10/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>From what I understand (having never considered this myself), getting the
>angles right is everything.  Dome builders make jigs that they use to cut
>the precise angles.  Once the angles are right, it is repetition of
>cutting, drilling, assembling and sheathing the triangles.  Ingrid
>
>At 10:53 AM 10/24/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>>How hard are the domes themselves to build?

	Yes, and much of that is due to building with "standard" materials which
are optimized for rectangular construction. (i.e. - 90 degree angles,
rectangular plywood, etc.) Much of the work with dome-building is to try
and (literally!) force the square shapes into a round structure.
	If done with plastics and metals that are manufactured from the beginning
to be used in domes, then you end up with pieces that can just snap
together. It involves making a conscious break from the use of standard
materials, though.

   Check out the Reality Sculptors Project: http://reality.sculptors.com/