Re: Re(2): Insulation

Boy, is this true. I recently climbed up in the attic area of the
"breezeway" connecting my house to my garage and added some rolls of
of the "itch free" fiberglass from Owens-Corning (not a plug for the
company or product. I actually like the spendier closed cell foam
better. I just had a few rolls I got *real cheap*). Here's what I think:

1) Contractors like to use blown-in insulation because they can
install it in a tenth the time of batts or rolls. Personally, I HATE
blown in insulation. It NEVER covers as well as they'd have you
believe and it shifts over time. I think the best approach in attics
is to roll insulation in and then roll another layer over it in the
"other direction". Labor intensive? Yes! But much better coverage.

2) Like I said, I like the spendier closed cell foam insulation
better. I don't think any of the manufacturer's use "bad" chemicals
when they make it anymore, so that's not a concern. And it works! It
has a greater r-value per inch, it can be cut to EXACT sizes (use an
electric kitchen knife), and it IS a vapor barrier. However, the
expense makes it a problem for most DIYers.

3) Radiant barriers DO work. I have a couple of problems areas that I
"fixed" using RB's. I was actually quite amazed. Do this test. Buy a
cheap roll of the RB material sold to insulate pipes (it usually has a
bubble wrap interior). Cut a small piece and just place your hand on
it. It will get very warm in no time at all. My garage is minimally
insulated, but it stays toasty warm because of a (properly installed -
follow the directions!) radiant barrier.

Wally Day