Re: Opinion on dome web sites...

	Sorry Cat, but i am with the dome companies on the issue at hand
on price lists.  Anyone who has been in any type of custom work can tell
you that too much interest in the price list too early in the process is
probably not a strong candidate for being a purchaser.  The companies have
a lot of investment in capital, idea development and their lives in their
work. I have had little problem in getting serious answers to serious
detail from any company i have contacted.  The prime consideration for
prices should come out of exploring the size and type of construction one
desires and an inquiry as to the companies ability to be able to fit one
of their custom or standard packages into a budget range of the purchaser.
Most dome companies seem to be more than willing to spend a great deal of
time to educate prospective clients to mildly interested inquiries where
they know from experience that a sale is not likely.

	It just seems to me that judging a car or dome, new or used and
with a fixation on price from a newspaper ad, brochure or internet page
could easily make it a disaster for both buyer and seller.   Kicking the
tires and going with price without getting into the detail of the car to
your needs puts you and the seller at less than a fair chance of picking
the right product for you.  Those with whom i have contact seem to care
about the right things.  Range pricing for the early contacts it seems
would give reasonable wiggle room for some market changes (except in
current market) and competetive edges for basic dome packages and provide
a window of reasonable opportunity for knowing if mutual interest
could be attained.  Just because we see a price listed for a car, house
or dome printed in any medium we all know that in the case of most durable
goods or products....it is seldom the selling price.  It isn't an LL Bean
mail order product that allows for no custom(er) changes of
specifications.  All vests are not created equal.

	Nathan and Dennis have been most helpful to me in providing
information on their products through donation of brochures and catalogs
for instructional use.  Having designed and printed similiar ad products i
know how hard it is for them to afford and keep them for those who will
make it to the building stage and they are tough percentages.  Most of
all i appreciate the time they have spent in answering direct emails and
posts on the list and taking the time to explain construction details,
systems and now the comparing of systems to price lists.  There are a
couple of companies that have not responded to my mail but it is rare.

	The old adage that "the customer is always right" to me is BUNK,
HOWEVER, "the customer is always the customer"/jb, even if they are wrong!
i suspect that anyone who invests a personal phone call and shows an
educated inquiry to any of these companies will be treated with a great
deal of respect and personal attention and get the best price which most
likely will not be the printed price.  Did you pay the printed window
price for your car?, i doubt it.  If you have not been in retail or
wholesale business, try it once or twice if you want a fast learning
curve, it ain't easy but it can be rewarding if you are tough enough
to take the pounding.

	Regardless, i admire your spunk and contribution to the list
and your point as well as that of Nathan and Dennis and others.  And
i am right here at the screen but this Kevlar vest is pretty hot, but
the price was right, hope i don't need it.

	Regards and Peace to all,  jb............   ,:-D#

John Belt, Design Faculty         Studio Phone:  315-341-2867 / voice mail
Department of Technology          Office Phone:  315-341-2868
Oswego State University           DEPT FAX-Attn/jb  315-341-3363
Oswego, New York 13126            Home Phone:    315-342-2280