Re: Need some help around Illinois or Colorado

> >.......... and is looking for someone to help convert his Hybrid Solar Dome
> >plans to CAD - Computer Draft.
> >Would be most interested in someone in Chicago area or Colorado with some
> >experience in spaceframe technology. All responses welcome.
> >

> If telecommuting would work, please look at my CAD- design/ build work. I'm t
> rying to expand my CAD related employment and telecomuting seems ideal. All t
> he pages on my www site (link below) display my work efforts.
>
> bo atkinson
>
> http://www.midcoast.com/~bo

	I'm still trying to find a good CAD program for domes & such.
	-I've found Rick Bono's "Dome" program (v. 4.6) to be wonderful for
generating raytraceable files for POVRay. (Although the 'export to *.dwx
format' function gives a less-than-desirable simple-wireframe of a dome. This
is OK for importing into Bryce 3D, but it lacks the mechanical detail that is
possible with POV.)
	-and Gerald deJong's "Struck!" to be great for octet-truss designs (although
you have to build the truss by hand, it's not a programattic interface where
you say "make me a truss with these dimensions")
	-and Moray 3 to be a FANTASTIC 3D modeller/interface to POVRay (I'll be
posting some new pictures on the website soon, although I haven't figured out
how to import POV scenes from Dome into the modeller, you can import other
items from Moray directly into POV. Moray lets you get *extremely* precise in
dealing with your designs. Down to units of measurement that go to 5 decimal
places. (0.00001 units, which, if 1=1 meter, then 0.00001 is 1/100th of a
millimeter.) This is just fine, but I don't know if it's compatible with other
CAD programs or how to interchangeable with them, yet...
	-There's another POV-compatible freeware modeller, called POVLab. I haven't
played with that one, but I've seen examples of what it can do. VERY nice.

	Here are some relevant links:

Dome 4.6: 	http://www.cris.com/~Rjbono/html/domes.html	(Freeware)
Bryce:	 	http://www.metacreations.com/products/bryce4	(Commercial)
Struck!:		http://www.beautifulcode.nl/			(Freeware)
POVRay3:	http://www.povray.org/				(Freeware)
Moray3:		http://www.stmuc.com/				(Shareware)
POVLab:		http://www.povlab.org/povlab.asp			(Freeware)

	Code notes: I think that Dome, POVRay, and definitely POVLab are open-source.
Bryce is not. Struck might be. There's a community mailing list devoted to it,
but I'm not sure if they all write code, or just Gerald. It's done in Java,
and is used to visualize tensegrities & synergetic geometry in 3D/VRML. The
mailing list is at http://www.fluidiom.com/

	Hope this helps. It's enough to get you started, in any event. (It's kept me
busy for the better part of the last year (And probably the next several! :-)
)

	I'll put together some pictures of things I've done with these tools, so you
can see some examples of what's possible. I'm planning on using a combination
of these to render pictures of the autonomous house. Obviously, I'll be
posting pictures of that here when I've got something worth showing.

    Check out the Reality Sculptors Project: http://reality.sculptors.com/
  Unix IS user friendly.  It's just more choosy about who its friends are...
							- Jonathan A. Davis