Re: thoughts on domes and markets

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:59:58 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>To me, this market conservatism and not government/industry opposition
>are the real problem. When a sufficient number of people want to live
>in dome-house neighborhoods, the other obstacles will begin to melt
>away.

I think this is a good point.  But then once industry puts its mind
to persuading people that X is something they might want, USAers
turn out to be as pliable as the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

I don't know if you saw my earlier post, about peacekeeper pods
for Kosovo, Fly's Eye units for ecosystem monitoring (zero impact
temporary communities).  It'll be a professional caste of techno-
geeks which gets early access to these expensive goodies, not
your average suburban ranch-style home-dweller (unless the latter
are prepared to receive the relevant trainings).  People who are
happy with what they've got need not disturb themselves.

I'm certain we'll have no trouble recruiting global university
students into work/study engagements which include tours of
duty in our Earthala-style facilities, wherever these dot the
globe.  I look forward to having a more civilian flavor of
high tech to offer the youngsters, vs. all this tacky pro-
military hype and garish weaponry promotions -- which doesn't
mean my Marines won't be rewarded for bravely fighting for
a design science revolution with me -- they've been wonderful.

Kirby
AFSC Corp