Re: thoughts on domes and markets

> Have the rest of you encountered this more militant form of
> "domes suck syndrome"?

Absolutely.  I am on a homestead list and there's a guy on the list who
is a veritable cornucopia of information on all sorts of building
techniques.  But he hates domes.  He adamantly believes that they are
ugly, weak, inferior, and inherently leaky.  He apparently bases this on
a single dome experience - some friends of his built a dome in the '70s
and apparently it leaked like a sieve and was a total loss.  I think it
can safely be said that there were a lot of poorly designed, poorly
constructed domes that went up in that time period, but that's no reason
to tar ALL domes.

He does, however, absolutly LOVE the monolithic domes (concrete shell
domes) which are expensive and extremely difficult for the
do-it-yourselfer to build (I'd say impossible for me personally).

Another guy I know has recently read a book called "A pattern Language"
and has come away with the idea that domes are miserable pieces of shit
that will turn their inhabitants in to miserable troglodytes - among
other things he says that domes are nearly impossible to light (DUH!
Well, maybe if you don't build in any windows!)  He also thinks that
people are genetically inclined to live in boxes, another idea he
apparently got from the above book.

Outside of the people on this and the other dome list, I don't know
ANYONE who doesn't think I'm insane at worst and foolish at best (and
probably both) for trying to build my own dome, from scratch yet, not
even from a kit.

Holly ;-D