Re: thoughts on domes and markets

Hi all,

A few responses and thoughts to this thread. Firstly I agree with Nathan
when he says
> The construction, forest products,
> building materials, remodeling, real estate, banking and insurance
> industries all have supported domes and prospective dome owners to some
> extent.
These people are not part of any conspiracy. They just haven't changed
as much as others yet. My clients have had finance from almost every
traditional source - even the NZ Government owned "Housing Corporation"
which provided mortgage finance to first home owners - until they were
privatised. As far as construction & supply industries go, it's about
infrastructure - the market, skills, knowledge base which takes time to
develop or even slightly modify - and it really is up to the dome
"missionaries" to educate, inform and reassure the skeptics, not the
other way around -it doesn't work like that. Can you imagine a banker
saying, "Well I think you're an idiot and I personally don't like domes
but seeing you are so enthusiastic and convinced, here's your finance".

Holly Deiser wrote:

> He does, however, absolutly LOVE the monolithic domes (concrete shell
> domes) which are expensive and extremely difficult for the
> do-it-yourselfer to build (I'd say impossible for me personally).

He is being blind to a history of some serious problems with concrete
monolithic domes - including both leakage and collapse. And none of us
can pretend that there have not been problems with other sorts of dome.
Successful domes depend on good design, good construction and good
materials, as do any other sort of structure.

> He also thinks that
> people are genetically inclined to live in boxes, another idea he
> apparently got from the above book.

A reporter once said to Bucky "I don't think I would like to live in a
dome".
Bucky tapped him on the head and said, "You've been living in one all
your life".
As far as this genetic idea goes - some of you may recall my rave about
apes. It depends from which type of ape you descended - a tree ape lives
in a wooden house, a cave ape lives in brick - hey I could modify the
three little pigs story.....
It's about our ability to visualise in two dimensions, rather than
three. Thus the square, the right angle etc. The marks we have made on
this planet are straightlines, boxes, rectilinear objects. Whether this
has become a genetic trait I'm not sure of - I think it is about
acquiring knowledge and our ability to apply that knowledge. Look at how
the castles of Europe changed as a result of the knowledge the Crusaders
returned with. As our knowledge of maths, materials, design, techniques
etc. grows, then our ability to visualise in three dimensions will
develop and so too will the buildings we build. We obviously desire to
work/plan/visualise in 3D, as evidenced by the CAD thread in this group.
I reckon Stanley Kubrick showed it in the opening scene of "2001-A space
odessey" - ape using the bone as a tool and throwing it, spinning,
becoming the latest tool, a space station.
I don't think its about genetics as much as it is about applied and
accumulated knowledge.

Forgive my rave,
Happy New Year to all - 1999 can only be better than 1998.
--
J. W. RICH

144 Gillies Ave
Epsom
Auckland
New Zealand
ph.  	64-9-623-2975
fax. 	64-9-623-2974
E-mail  j dot w dot rich at cygnus dot co dot nz (for direct contact)
	geodesicsnz at netscape dot net (for info. requests)

Some pics of my domes are displayed at the following URL.

http://www.seagull.net/rowley/DomeHome/domehomepics.html#johnrich