Re(2): Re(2): thoughts on domes and markets

Kirby Urner writes:

> I'm looking foward to something closer to what
> Bucky Fuller dreamed about, from the aerospace
> lineage, not really from the post and lintel home
> builders tradition at all (the Witchita House
> came from an aircraft hanger).

Then, you may be interested in this item recently posted to the DomeHome

The local newsweekly, Nashville Business Journal ran a story in its
December 18-24 issue about a company (Max Power Aerospace) that's taking
old Boeing 727 hulls and turning them into houses. They've actually filed
for a patent.

Because of the different kinds of metals and other materials used, it's
not easy to recycle them; and though not flightworthy, they're still
weathertight. They've drawn up plans for turning them into
1,250-square-foot houses that sit on pedestals up to 30 feet off the
ground. The pedestal column incorporates a 10-foot-diameter gear and four
motors so that the housecraft can rotate. (The gearing is such that it
ensures smooth starts and stops, and the controls are inside the house.)
It can handle winds up to 228 mph.

The house they've designed has three bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen,
dining room and living room, and each wing gives the house 650 square feet
of deck space. The price for the home, "nicely decorated," with hardwood
floors, is $290,000.

The designer is Robert Mather, of Moodus, Connecticut. The homes are
designed to be set up as fancy vacation homes in remote locations like the
Florida keys. They're expected to hold up well in hurricanes. A prototype
(expected to cost $500,000) is being finished at the Smyrna, Tennessee,
airport.

(I'll try to sneak down there sometimes with my long lens and take some
photos.)