Re: thoughts on domes and markets

I did say that some housing styles, found almost everywhere in indigenous peoples, were dome-shaped.  I thought that the  distinction between this "old" form, the middle" form(the masonry domes of Rome and Europe) and the "new" form, the geodesic was understood.  My fault!
There is some evidence that the Greeks, and Persians, both used a staggered beam method to form an interior dome-like space, but it is in the "wiggle room" category.  This method is very close to the methodology used by American Indians out west.
As for Wigwams, they are domes only in the general, old sense, and only in the sense expressed in the first line, above.
Certainly, they are in no way, geodesic.  A look at eastern Indian groups, like the Iroquois, clearly show that bent saplings were bound together almost always at 90* angles. Interestingly, the development of wigwams, and wickiups among Indians indicate a diffusion from West to East.
As for huts in Africa, again a housing style.  I tried to build a 20' adobe dome many years ago and ended up with a garden room, and a bump on the head.   There is a splendid adobe dome in Timbuktu, built around 1500, that has to be re-built every 50 years or so, and re-plastered every 3-5 for rain damage.
That having been said,  I say again that, except for dome-shaped housing,  there are no native forms anywhere other than in Europe that I am aware of after thirty years of looking at building types.  But, I'm always looking for info that will shake up my complacency.

As for" in nature",  there are indeed fossil remains, that appear to be dome-shaped or, I'm told most likely, spherical.  These forms are found, even today, but only in the Seas/water.  A colleague in the Biology Dept.  points out that the Cretaceous forms reflect the greatest adherence to the geodesic form, with later forms tending to the elliptical.  Who knew!?
 There are, also, certain seed forms that reflect a dome-shape, albeit not geodesic.

" Eurasian tents may merit the term "architecture" in my thinking, who will pin
down their dates?"  Strangely enough, we find tents to be much older that we thought.  In the Mid-East, they have several dating to 1500+ BC and in Egypt, even older.  The tipi, long thought by most of us to be American is also to be found in 4000 year old Swedish remains.  The excavation of the "steppe people" of central Russian steppes also reveal tents.  It is theorized that these peoples are the Aryan home race that invaded India, Persia, and Greece, and gave us our basic language, religion, and philosophical outlooks.  As Spock says:"Fascinating"
TTFN  :-)

bo atkinson wrote:

Ron Stevens wrote:
The culturalist in me arises to take slight exception to the statement: Every world continent seems to have ancient dome examples within it's traditions.   In the architectural sense, Domes, or Cupolas, are not found in aboriginal architectures on any continent except Europe,
  Please then prove that the American indian wigwam which is dome shaped was not aboriginal. Also please prove that African huts, today made with earthen materials in Nigeria had no ancient origin, not to forget the default simplest vegetation hut (which is dome shaped). Eurasian tents may merit the term "architecture" in my thinking, who will pin down their dates? Eskimo igloos: what date? That fossils themselves contain domes indeed should suggest the default nature of the globe we live on. Thanks,bo atkinson

--
Ron Stevens
email:  stevens at gnt dot net