Re: Chinese statuary (was: Re: thoughts on domes and markets)

JMR writes: "I'd love to see some diagrams of the underlying structure of the Temple of
Heaven in Beijing: It resembles a dome structure with awnings and an outsized cupola."  my emphasis.
Then, based on that,  my corn silo is a dome !  It is tall and has a curved top.  The covering of  a space with a upper structure that stretches the visual aspects of the space in an upward direction is not necessarily a dome, nor suggested by a dome.
To my weak knowledge of China, specifically, but to my stronger knowledge of buildings, world-wide,  I have found no suggestion of "domes", in the architectural sense existing in China prior to the 1700's, nor prior to the Roman empire in the case of other continents.
Far be it for me to suggest that -gag- "a dome is a dome when it is a dome".  I may not be able to define it (and I've tried, you know!),  but I know one when I see one.  That leaves the matter of observational interpretation to each of us.
My only point in the first posting of this thread was that we often "see" what we want to see, and that image is often at odds with the view of others.  I responded to a statement that was at odds with scholarly views.  We do get picky sometimes, but to impute that any whole, or partial, spheroidal object is a dome, or suggested by a dome, or imputes from Nature dome qualities is reading too much into the data.
Now,  let us get back to the real business of this list - composting toilets!
(:-))

Michael Rowland wrote:

I'd love to see some diagrams of the underlying structure of the Temple of
Heaven in Beijing:

http://free.prohosting.com/~dparadox/cgi-bin/viewer.pl?photo+04

It resembles a dome structure with awnings and an outsized cupola.

Ron Stevens
email:  stevens at gnt dot net
Dept of Environmental Studies
University of West Florida