Re(2): the shapes of space

Anton writes:

> Michael Rowland describes a rectangular house
...[my verbiage deleted]...
> What that has to do with curves, I'm still waiting to learn.

Oh, it has nothing to do with curves, except that curves are one way to
achieve a spatial sense. And I'm not talking about "rectangular houses"; I
used the term "boxy houses" because that's the term that was already being
used in this thread to refer to conventional houses. Frank Lloyd Wright's
houses, even when rectilinear (and he's done some of the most rectilinear
houses out there), do communicate that sense of space. I think it has more
to do with openness, but even in closed areas, you get a feeling of other
spaces beyond.

Going back to what Bo Atkinson and John Rich were talking about, it seems
that people who are attracted to domes enjoy the sculptural aspects of
them... and sculpture has to do with evoking a spatial response.

There's a retired couple I know who live in a magnificent house they built
out on the western highland rim overlooking Nashville. The house is
basically one large rectangle, with the east-facing wall, looking toward
Nashville, entirely of glass. All of Nashville is spread out below them.
(They told me that, when the built the house, it was all pastures and
woods and ponds spread out below them.) Inside, the space is divided by
curving rock walls and partitions, so it's not just one big empty space.
But the kitchen, dining area and living room all flow into one another,
and ultimately out that glass wall into that great view.

In this house, and in Frank Lloyd Wright's houses, and in the domes I've
seen, you get the feeling of living inside a sculpture. (Or, maybe you do
only if you like sculpture....)