Re: Re(2): thoughts on domes and markets

It seems to me that round and dome like an igloo are the fast to set up,
easy to take down, easy to heat choices of those on the move who dont
collect a lot of "stuff".  When people settled down and began collecting
"stuff", they needed flat walls to push it against or hang it on.  As
society stratified into classes, maybe they were trying to be as different
as possible from those on the move, the box structures looking more
permanent and solid looking.  Maybe there is a "class consciousness" that
is unconsciously behind the lack of popularity of domes or other round
structures.  Concrete may suffer similar discrimination being a "basement"
material or building material for low cost apartments, etc.   OTOH, there
is nothing temporary about concrete.
Furniture for those "on the move" vs "stay puts" seems to be vastly
different as well.  Nobody schleps a huge armoire around.  Most people
"invest" in very large furniture.  In my eyes, a dome does not take well to
lots of big square/rectangular furniture.  In visiting various domes, it
seemed that large furniture overwhelmed the rooms they were in, especially
if they were against an outside, curved wall.  This combined with the "over
division" of the space into rooms made them seem cramped to me anyway (I
will admit I like Japanese nearly empty rooms).
A very good example is round vs rectangular dining tables.  Round tables
seat many more  people than the same square area of a rectangle table.  A
lazy susan in the middle of the round table and all the food is easily
accessible to everyone seated.   Everyone is equal at a round table
(Arthur??) but there is a head and foot at a rectangle, a class division so
to speak.  A round table takes up much less space.  So why do people
continue to love rectangles?  Ingrid

At 03:32 PM 1/9/1999 -0600, you wrote:
 >Wherever you have aboriginal cultures that build shelters by bending two
>or more saplings together and tying them where they cross, you have a dome
>structure. (And let's not forget the igloo.) It might be stretching a
>point to call a tipi a dome, but they definitely have more in common with
>domes than they do with rectangles.
end
solo   List manager- Puregold
website: http://lists.aquaria.net/fish/goldfish/puregold/