LCD lighting

One of the biggest impediments to energy independent housing just bit the
dust with the arrival of the
latest catalog from Real Goods. You've probably seen the lime green
electroluminescent nightlights
that claim to use only about a nickel of electricity a year, running 24
hours a day. I've been waiting for
these to get whiter and brighter and now they are. The first generation LCD
lights (similar technology
used in flat panel computer screens) are expensive, but they're economical
in the long run. They have a
very long life, are resistant to breakage, use little energy and give off
little or no heat.

Doesn't look like they're listed on their website yet:
http://www.realgoods.com

You've seen the potato powered LCD clock or calculator (also stocked at Real
Goods). Plug in two
electrodes into a potato tuber or a live plant to generate power. I envision
the day when lighting and
computers are so energy efficient that we can draw power for them by
plugging into kudzu vines
growing outside. Remember, you heard it here first!

I wonder how much power you can draw from a kudzu vine compared to a potato.

FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com