Re: Dome design and translucent/opaque panels

> > Translucent blueberry? Pretty, but a MAJOR solar design flaw under
> > the sun
> > of a Florida summer! And my wife would object strenuously to the
> > "translucent" part.
>
> Whoops...I just went back and read every word of my recent posts.  I did,
> at one point, mention translucency.  I might not be a bad idea, if done
> right.
>
> Here's my thought.
>
> An opaque frame with no "windows" per se.  Only translucent panels for
> admitting light.  Realistically, most houses have a lousy view...clear
> windows
> could be used to frame the view, and the rest could be used for general
> light.
>
> Picture a "frosted" looking white dome with translucent colored
> triangular
> panels available for windows.  This used to be done in "Four Seasons"
> windows in traditional houses, so it's based on a traditional design,
> though
> it also implies iMac type color options, which could become exterior
> design
> elements for their owners...not to mention a strong graphic element
> internally.
>
> Conversely, a "blueberry" or other funky colored dome, with translucent
> frosted "white" windows.  With the long strip arrangements of windows
> possible
> in a dome, this might be a very strong visual element, too, while not
> providing
> only colored light to the interior.
>
> What is the use of a *clear* window, when there is nothing to see?
>
> It might work...
>
>      -- Chuck Knight

	I thought for sure I'd mentioned this earlier, and there's
now a new mention in the "Aerogel Panels" section on the Autonomous
House page. One of the things I've been wanting to do with these
houses is to use polymer liquid crystals. Basically, it's a tintable
Plexiglas type of material that goes from clear to opaque in
milliseconds, or to some translucent stage in between, depending on
voltage.
	I've put in a link as well to more info and a tutorial on polymer
liquid crystals (PLC) on that page, as well.

	Using this material in the panels, every wall would also be a
window, and vice-versa. In fact, my hyper-intuitive user interface
idea for this was to have a small replica of the dome sitting in the
center of the room, (probably on a tasteful little column or something
artsy like that) with touch-sensitive panels on it. You walk up,
touch the panels you want, and the panels above your head toggle
between clear and opaque. Sliders could be implemented to handle
variable opacity, and when you combine with people-locating
technologies, you get some other fun prospects:

	-A tracker that keeps you in sunlight (or shade) as you move
about the room.
	-A shifting series of panels that keep you in sunlight (or
shade) while sitting in one spot, as the sun moves (Say, where you
are reading a book or working at a desk)

	There are lots of other things that can be done with it, too.