Re: Interiors

> > Next, if they were installed on a track, they could also be
> > movable
> > like shoji screens, while still suiting the interior of the dome.
> >
> 	Stacie and I have been discussing how to do some sort of
> shoji screen
> type of moveable wall units. I like the anticlastic curvature idea.

Thank you...it's quickly becoming my favorite overall form.  And,
I've figured out how to make them in fabric, too.  :-)  It was *too*
simple.

For mass production, they could either be stamped from a styrene
type of material, for a rigid panel, or stretched from a lycra type of
material for a "flexible" panel.  Another possible manufacturing
technique would involve a "spring" wire frame and a "shrink wrap"
mylar material.  All are simple ways to produce anticlastic curves,
and they lend well to mass production.

Fabric panels could help to dampen sound...rigid membrane panels
could serve as resonator plates for built-in flat panel speaker systems,
like are available for computers, as well as privacy panels.  No matter
how heavy a fabric you use, it will never be totally opaque.

I think, with this type of arrangement, the dome's acoustical problems
would be of minimal impact...should be simple enough to break
up the internal reflections.

(I've got an idea for a 2-story media room / great room utilizing low
power equipment like the TI micromirror array, which could project
HDTV/SVGA onto the dome's wall.  A built in projection screen!  Not
requiring flat-field lenses makes the optical system simpler and
cheaper...
Imagine, now, surrounding yourself with low-mass flat panel speakers
as walls.  It's guy heaven! <g>)

> 	I've batted around ideas with freestanding wall partitions,
> track-mounted walls that can fold away (much like the walls you see
> in
> gymnasiums, ballrooms, conference rooms, etc.) and also panels that
> could be
> suspended from the octet-truss flooring of the floor above you. You
> could just
> hook a panel over the truss framing, and hang it in place, possibly
> doing
> something to lock it into place, seal against sound, or whatever.

Yep, exactly.  And, since they curve in both directions, vertical is no
longer a consideration.  Makes it easier to build in a little bit of
"slop"
for the measurements.

See above for comments on acoustic considerations.

> 	I think we're on the same wavelength. And I also think we
> need to set
> up a space on the website for people to post their ideas, sketches,
> images,
> etc. :-)

I like it!  Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with my CAD system, so I'm
going back to pen, paper, and maybe some watercolors.  Double
curves are hard for me to draw -- with regard to my submissions,
don't expect fine art.

> 	Oh, and I'm not sure if I've mentioned it here or not, but
> your
> mention of the torus reminded me. Another rendering I have planned
> is a
> torus-shaped house that suspends from a giant redwood tree, or a
> tower, or
> whatever. I think it would be cool, and the interior wall always
> curving away
> from you would be reminiscent of a space-station. (like in "2001")
> :-)

That basic scene is what inspired the internal curved walls, too.  I had
an image of a "hallway" connecting a kitchen on the back side of the
wall, with both sides of the great room, on the other side of it.

     -- Chuck Knight
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.