Subject: Viridian Note 00180: Infrared House Paint
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:32:54 -0500
From: Bruce Sterling <bruces at well dot com>
To: Viridian List <viridian at fringeware dot com>

Key concepts:  house paint, energy efficiency,
military spin-offs

Attention Conservation Notice: It's hard to get
excited about house paint.

Link:  http://www.radiancecomfort.com/

"A consumer benefit of 'stealth' technology

"Just as research for the U.S. space program led to
consumer innovations such as non-stick coatings for pots
and pans, Radiance paints bring home and building owners
the benefits of one type of military stealth technology.

   "The patented technology is based on a heat-reflecting
paint that was developed to help protect NATO vehicles
from heat-seeking weapons. ChemRex subsequently adapted
and improved the technology to create an elegant interior
latex paint for homes and buildings. Radiance's patented
formula contains microscopic particles that cause it to
behave like today1s energy-efficient low-e windows ==
creating an emissivity barrier that reduces the transfer
of radiant heat into or out of rooms.

    "Radiance paint reflects up to 40 percent of radiant
heat back into a room during cold weather (compared to 5
percent for ordinary paint), and it blocks up to 60
percent of radiant heat energy from entering a room during
hot weather. The paint's emissivity values have been
verified by leading independent research laboratories. In
short, because Radiance paint helps keep radiant heat
energy where you want it, you can feel comfortably warm in
winter and cooler in summer while spending less for
heating and air conditioning."

(((As an additional bonus, if your home is targeted
by Warsaw Pact heat-seeking ordinance, you'll likely
escape with only collateral damage!  Unfortunately,
this Radiance commercial agitprop does not address
the central Viridian question:  is this product *sexy*?
We note with chagrin that it comes in a mere 72
shades, and that dark colors compromise its thermal
efficiency.  We'd be interested to hear of any
Viridian hands-on experience with Radiance paint.)))

O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O
HEY! HOW COME MY CELLPHONE
DOESN'T WORK IN THIS ROOM?
O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O O=c=O