Re: A few random notes...

> Wouldn't a simple interface to the X10 system be a reasonable
> solution?  Some of its stuff is quite sophisticated, and it provides a
> standardized interface already, which has been expanded to meet
> quite a lot of needs.
>
> I guess the first stage would be speccing what we want the
> integration to accomplish.  Then, we can design modules (X10
> compliant or not) which can achieve it...
>
> As for the software, X10 is supported on numerous platforms
> already, though I'm not aware of anything on LINUX.  It's about
> time that somebody wrote it for LINUX, if it (in fact) doesn't yet
> exist.

Oh, loads of stuff exists. Look here...
http://members.home.net/ncherry/

	I'm using the "BottleRocket" software for Linux to run various parts
of my house, as well as the pump in the aquaponic greenhouse. Works great. :-)

> > 	This should be open-source based stuff, and probably run
> > through a Linux
> > or *BSD system. These things could be written in just about any
>
> I like it so far.  BTW:  I'm having trouble getting my i810 system to
> work with XF86.  I've tried upgrading my kernel through RedHat's
> .rpm system, and have had trouble.  Any hints?  Anybody?

	Not sure you'd need a kernel upgrade, but there are some XF86 package
upgrades that have been released since the various RH releases. Haven't tried
it on an i810, but it does seem more robust than past incarnations. Check
http://www.xfree86.org/ for details on compatibility and versions.

> As for the project -- would we need full fledged LINUX?  Or would
> a simple embedded OS suffice?  ELKS is not yet ready for prime
> time, and even if it was, the software would have to be designed
> specifically for it.
>
> A reasonable alternative is the JAVA and TINI system, which already
> has hardware, an embedded OS, and software hooks for existing
> hardware interfaces, available for a minimal cost, from Sun.
	Embedded is nice, but usually limited to lower-power chips that are
often applied in appliances & such.
	People nowadays are still going to expect (and demand) powerful
machines to handle their mail, news, MP3's, web surfing, and other day-to-day
tasks. If they're going to demand (and own) that hardware in-house, why not
have it spend a few of its spare multi-hundred-MHz of processor-time in
managing systems within the house. Why not run it all from a central system,
rather than 100 different embedded systems, based on 100 different chipsets,
decided on by whatever's cheapest when United Toaster or somesuch decides to
build their specific machine?

> As for the data modules, all electronics fail, and usually at the worst
> possible time.  As the autonomous house will be fairly dependent on
> them, I suggest the following.
>
> Each sensor module is "intelligent," with a common time base.  Each
> remembers the "last" signal sent out ... and when.  If any module goes
> down, it can recover by polling the main server.  If the server goes
> down, it can recover by polling the individual modules.  This would only
> add a little bit of complexity, and would result in a redundant system.

	In my "real job", I do consulting work to help computer companies
manage and monitor their networks, to keep packets flowing, and notice when
things fail on large networks. They use the same sort of architecture you
outline above. It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility to set this
sort of stuff up in a house-net.

> Of course, a total power failure would still be difficult to deal with,
> but
> nothing is perfect.  And, in a house with its own UPS, a total power
> failure is a very remote possibility.
>
>      -- Chuck Knight
	True, and if it does completely fail, you've certainly got other things to worry about. :-)

> Attached email...
>
> Guys,
>
> Try this: send an email to jacket at los-gatos dot net, and in the
> message body put "surf URL" where URL is a full url of your
> choosing in the format http://host.domain.com/whatever. The
> message will be received by my home dns/mail server and will
> be forwarded to my jacket.
> [...]
>
>   -- Doug

	This is very cool. And since I live in the hills of Los Gatos, I'll
have to see if I can connect with Doug and check out his wearable... :-)