Re: A few random notes...

> In my "real job", I do consulting work to help computer companies
> manage and monitor their networks, to keep packets flowing, and notice
> when things fail on large networks. They use the same sort of
> architecture you outline above. It's certainly not beyond the realm of
> possibility to set this sort of stuff up in a house-net.

I think it would make a lot of sense to put embedded processing where
it's needed, but only in simplest possible form - what I'm envisioning
is a simple device with a $1 microcontroller in it that, say, keeps an
eye on your pH levels or something, and reports back to the server at
regular intervals. Some other device, with another tiny brain in it,
would act to adjust the pH level when the server told it to. etc.
--Jim