Re: A few random notes...

At 07:58 AM 7/14/2000 , you wrote:

> In my "real job", I do consulting work to help computer companies
> manage and monitor their networks, to keep packets flowing, and notice
> when things fail on large networks. They use the same sort of
> architecture you outline above. It's certainly not beyond the realm of
> possibility to set this sort of stuff up in a house-net.

I think it would make a lot of sense to put embedded processing where
it's needed, but only in simplest possible form - what I'm envisioning
is a simple device with a $1 microcontroller in it that, say, keeps an
eye on your pH levels or something, and reports back to the server at
regular intervals. Some other device, with another tiny brain in it,
would act to adjust the pH level when the server told it to. etc.

That is all that is needed. The world is full of SBCs with an 8051 and lots of IO. All it has to do is read and react to a table, log whatever it does, wait for new tables, and send logs when requested. Cheap and quick. Then as the problems and solutions became better understood, more of the process could be moved to the edges, allowing the servers more freedom.

Don Bowen			donb at cts dot com
Valley Center, CA		Senior Software Engineer
Internet development and software engineering

http://members.cts.com/crash/d/donb
http://www.oldengine.org/members/ihc14
http://www.oldengine.org/members/ferguson/