An evening with architects and engineers.

Hi, all!
	I've just returned from a day and a half of helping my good friend
(and fellow list member) Ken Turgen pack and prepare for his move from San
Francisco to Boston. (His wife, Kim, is currently on the road driving most of
their stuff eastward with a friend. You can find out more details about the
move on the UpSpin mailing list archives at
http://reality.sculptors.com/~hyprmail/upspin/0061.html - I won't fill
everyone's mailbox with redundant info, here.)

	What I *will* talk about, though, is some of the people we met with
tonight, on Ken's whirlwind goodbye tour.

	We stopped by a place he used to work, RYS Architecture, and met with
his former boss, Robert Sauvageau. It was very cool to wander around the
office and see the things they were working on. They do a lot of commercial
architecture, such as hotels & restaurants. One of the things that impress me
greatly about architects is they can take a concept, an idea, or a sketch,
make it into technical drawings and renderings, then work with the builders
and planning departments, and actually get these things built. They're real
buildings going up all over the place. Very often we take buildings for
granted, but they're man-made. These folks dream them up, and make them
happen. It's really cool. :-)

	Robert, or 'Bob', as he likes to be called, told me that they had
begun to look into using fuel-cells in some buildings, and were starting to
discuss it with clients, but didn't have anything solid at this point. I told
him about the fuel-cells mailing list I run, and am going to see if we can get
him to join there and post reports on what they find with trying to get these
into real-world buildings.

	I also showed him the autonomous house designs, and the hub and panel
details. He seemed to like them, and had a variety of questions. We didn't
have a whole lot of time, so I gave him a brief tour, and pointed him at the
web pages. Hopefully we'll get a chance to discuss in more detail at some
future point.

	After the visit to RYS, we visited Ken's friends, Onder and Anca
Kustu. They are a husband and wife team that run a structural engineering firm
in Belmont, CA. (About 10-15 miles south of San
Francisco) Onder is Turkish, and he has about 35 years of experience in
construction technologies and structural engineering. Anca is Romanian, and
she's been doing structural engineering for more than 20-25 years. (I think!)
She also has a background in sculpting, art, and architecture. Needless to
say, the conversations were fascinating and lively! :-)

	In just the first 5 minutes of meeting Onder, I sketched out the basic
ideas I was pursuing with the autonomous house (he was familiar with Bucky's
work, and used to play around with geodesic designs), and asked him some
questions about doing stress-analysis calculations on octet-trusses for use in
the floor joists. He said this shouldn't be hard at all, but that a 16 meter
span may end up being too far to do without a fairly deep truss.

	However! He then proceeded to blow my mind wide open to a few new
ideas, which might prove to be stronger, and even perhaps even lighter than
the octet-truss designs. (Not to mention perhaps even cooler!) Both involved
using some sort of compression ring that would circle around the inside of the
dome and provide a way to contain many of the forces involved.

	Idea 1: Use a much shallower/flatter dome as a floor support, and
build some joists above it to put the flat floor upon. In essence, when
looking from below, it would be a ceiling that arched slightly upards towards
the center of the dome, but nowhere near as much as the outer dome shell.
(I'll try to provide some drawings/renderings in the next few days to
illustrate this.) Looking from the top, without the flooring, this dome would
look sort of like a large, dimpled trusswork. Raising slightly towards the
middle.

	Idea 2: Use a cable mesh or network that suspended the floor from the
edges of the compression ring. This would have some flex and bounce to it as
you walked across, unless you did some counter-balancing with other cables to
lock it in place, but you could employ the tensional forces correctly to make
it rock-solid, yet still weigh next to nothing.

	In fact, I suspect that the
Wichita House that Bucky designed, the Dymaxion Dwelling Machine, used a
technique like this. I remember reading (I think in BuckyWorks -
http://reality.sculptors.com/~salsbury/Articles/BuckyWorks.review.final.html )
something about the residents of the house learning to walk with that slight
bounce to the floors. Can anyone else confirm this, or point to a reference?

	I really liked both of these ideas. And the second has some neat
possibilities for keeping the weight ultra-light, while the strength is
ultra-strong. Not to mention extra coolness-points for designing a tensegrity
or aspension floor system! Talk about ephemeralization! You might be able to
replace huge wooden beams and planking with a lightweight spiderweb of cables,
and bring the materials usage (and cost) way down.

	I'm not sure how much time Onder and Anca have to spare, but I've
invited them to check out the site and lists, and hope to get them to join and
share their inputs and ideas. They're both incredibly bright people, and Ken
has loved working with them over the years on many projects. I now understand
why. :-)

	That's enough from me, for now. :-)

(still wired from all the stimulating talk 3 hours ago... :-)  )