Re: Hello

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, Charles J Knight wrote:

<< snip hellos >>

}> There was a long thread on advertising, me driving a
}> porche/rolls/cray
}> because I don't have to pay rent/morgage/power/sewage/etc. will be
}> an
}> advertizement to anyone that sees me.  And it means I can afford to
}> buy my
}> sister and son their own domes, my sister the school teacher driving
}> a
}> porche is even better advertizing.
}
}Yes, but until they become relatively common, and their advantages
}understood by the general public, who's going to want to live in a
}high tech igloo?
}
}Quite bluntly, advertising creates markets which would not have
}otherwise existed.
}

I see the value of some advertizing, but I've never failed to sell a magic
"off the grid" box to anyone I've talked to.  If I had such as a product,
especially with a year or two of track record they'd be lining up.

}> There were several long threads on connectors, that's useful to me,
}> but if
}> the goal is mass production wouldn't welding or adhesives, depending
}> on
}> your strut material make more sense.
}
}It depends on where assembly is to be done, and by whom.  If
}the goal is to employ millions of skilled workers, hand assembling
}buildings on site, then one solution might be in order.
}
}If the goal is to deliver a kit home, for owner assembly, on site,
}then the goal is different.
}
}If the goal is to airlift in stacks of empty dome shells, which have
}been assembled by robots by the millions, then the design goals
}are different yet.
}
}My personal choice is to (as a first step) establish a dome market
}by the production of "connectors" similar to the Simpsons Strong-Tie
}connectors -- the cheap metal joist hangers you can get at Home
}Depot.  The average do-it-yourselfer doesn't have access to, or
}skills with things like welders or "super-adhesives."  Make the dome
}a simple, almost effortless project and people should try building them.
}At the moment, it involves measuring, calculating angles, almost
}literally creating a new type of architecture.  Take away that difficulty
}and I think there would be a dome renaissance.
}
}After people start building domes, a different model can act as
}a mass producible home.
}

I understand, the connector follows my goals nicely(and yours?) but not
Pats.

}> There was a concern about struts pulling out of the "rubber
}> tinkertoy"
}> connectors.  What about holes through the connector or eyes and a
}> cable
}> passed through them and pulled taught.
}
}In other words, pin the ends of the struts, to the connector.  A
}simple addition to the idea, and it would work.
}
}Of course, internal friction with the rubber would be enough to
}hold it together, unless there are excessive internal forces, i.e. a
}water tank?
}
I thought of those, but the pin I thought might pull through under stress.

I was suggesting a taut cable running along each strut, pulling the
connector onto each end.

}> On the discussion about server systems for the domes, we don't want
}> this
}> to be the same machine as their desktop machine because the customer
}> will
}> want to run somthing MStupid and unstable.  I'm against excessive
}> embedding in MY house and all the early houses because I want to be
}> able
}> to tweak things.
}
}It should be simple enough to distribute the functions to miniature
}embedded systems around the house, and offer central control from
}a single server.
}
}As to what server, we *could* just throw caution to the wind and
}run something by M$.  Surely it wouldn't require rebooting more
}than hourly.  :-)  Your dome shouldn't be more than 100F inside,
}after the thermostat crashes and turns on the heater during summer.
}
}> I've run down, will write when I think of more(huge list archive,
}> very burnt out).
}
}We are a creative and very wordy group, aren't we?  :-)  Welcome
}to the list.
}
}     -- Chuck Knight
}GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
}Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less!
}Join Juno today!  For your FREE software, visit:
}http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
}