Dome shed simplicity

As to the advantages of the traditional 4x8 sheet based rectilinear
structure, well said Chuck (see below). But also consider the need to
get things square and plumb with a rectangle shed- sometimes to
prevent collapse later - not always an easy proposition especially on
nonlevel ground.  Dome *assembly* actually has some advantages once
the pieces are cut right.  At least it will *stay* up once put up.
Two thoughts along those lines:

1) The 2 frequency triacon icosa (Class 2 Method 3), edge up,
hemisphere is a really under rated and underutilized structure for
small buildings.  Only "one" triangle is needed for the entire thing
(some are cut in half).  Once you get set up to cut that one, its
redundant. True, an angled cut looks harder than a 90 degree cut, but
at least the user can get by with one set up only.   Further, consider
the "diamond" version of this (Kaiser Aluminum style after Richter) -
looks neat, and flexible panels are somewhat self centering despite
complex angles.  For the 2v, the whole dome is made from the same
panel basically.

Consider it for the temp structure in Tennessee.  I think Ernie once
mentioned that he uses this.

2) There is merit to JMR's panel approach, although if I'm not
mistaken, the
Millers have really given the overlapping panel technique a good
workout and can probably speak to that...
So, instead of a hub connector, maybe what we need is a *panel*
connector. Provide a cutting pattern for the plywood, and provide
angle to join panel edges, rather than hub/strut?  Cut panels, screw
the angle to the edges, join panels....done?  What would it take to
hear, "Boy that sure went up
easy. Why did I ever mess with those old wood shed plans..."

-Dan G.
2)