dome models

There is an "IKOSA-KIT" that was available from Edmunds Scientific.
It consisted of clear plastic tube (hose)sections and thin bamboo sticks just
like the skewers you get at the grocery store. And a pointed hole making tool so
you could make 5 and 6 hole hubs from the tube pieces. With similar method any
dome or sphere model could be made. For strut lengths see the dome calculator
linked at the domegroup.org site.
Other ideas:
-Use styrofoam balls for the connector hubs, with wood dowel struts.
-Use "pipe cleaner" wire with drinking straws. Use hot glue or something like
E-6000 to keep it together. I did a 2 ft. 3 fr Icosa sphere with this method.
-Popsicle sticks are also plentiful and cheap from the craft store. Connect
together with styrofoam balls or cut out plastic or cardboard connector hub
plates. Attach with screws, hot glue or staples. I made a 3 ft. 4 fr. Icosa
sphere with this method.
For paper dome models, I have a page with several cut-out plans:
http://www.gardendome.com/models/dome_models.html
for paper polyhedra models:
http://www.geocities.com/model-world/indexe.html
Can be scaled up or down and measured accurate enough for model making with
straws and sticks etc.
Ernie
http://photos.yahoo.com/gardendome