Domebook 3

----------
From: The Millers <triorbtl at sover dot net>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 10:21:33 -0800
To: J & D Goldman <jmgoldma at dwx dot com>
Subject: Re: Domebook 3

    Domebooks 1& 2 were something much better than a collection of dome
stories. They were the first significant effort at the democratization of
geodesic domes. Until these books came out, there was only a pool  cover
design available in Popular Science for guidance, and the Laminar
patent(1965) had the same chord factors for the 3v and 4v truncatable domes.
Pacific High School came out with a landslide of information, relative to
what was available. The explanations of geodesic geometry were well thought
out. The actual building designs were questionable, but they were admittedly
experimental.
    If we are to produce Domebook 3, I think we will need a new title, since
the editor of Domebooks 1 and 2 will likely prove an obstacle. Something
like Domes for a New Century. And it should have tested, proven information.
Thirty years have passed, we don't need to publish brainstorms. Are serious
dome makers willing to reveal the best of their information? It is only
natural to give out some to be admired, but hold back the key stuff.
    One thing that would be of great use in one of the fundamental ambitions
of the publication- a simple geodesic frame for export to places that are
desperate for the structure for a shelter. Something like the Starplate hub
system, but more complex, 3 or 4v. People in places like Afghanistan and
Africa  know how to work with traditional materials.
     When I was in Oaxaca years ago I saw how helpful corrugated galvanized
steel was, and how skilled the Mexicans were with concrete. A versatile
structural dome frame with short enough spans would not be challenging to
cover. It would save the tedium of working against gravity with low tensile
strength materials. A frame of 2x3's would be easier to fasten to than
metal, and lighter to transport. Wood is scarce in these places. What a help
a light wooden frame would be. In fact, after reading some of the results of
various listserv members trying out Starplate hubs, it seems apparent that
once given a wooden frame to work on, conventional building experience is
enough to carry the finishing process through.
    I prefer membrane domes, but I feel certain that this  structural
skin'gestalt' kind of dome is confusing to most potential domebuilders. And
the weight and expense of sending durable covering material is probably
prohibitive. The problems presented by a frame can be more easily understood
and solved by any of the skilled, intelligent resourceful people around the
world. They would be ableto make longlasting, beautiful structures. They
could surprise us. They could teach us something. I think as an adjuct to
the book we could produce the frame. It is mostly just the hubs, which are
easy enough items to make.