Re: quick shelter

J & D Goldman at jmgoldma at dwx dot com wrote:

>> I'm not sure if this is entirely relevant, but on page 22 of
>> The Dome Builder's Handbook by John Prenis, there is a strut
>> and cord type structure described, using a more routine
>> icosohedral dome as a general platform. Is that the type of
>> suspension you were thinking about? Perhaps this could be
>> used in some combination with the Hoberman type features
>> (i.e. the scissors...) -Dan G.

I'm not familiar with that book, so I don't know how similar
it is to what I'm picturing. This would be a fairly routine
icosahedron, though of a relatively high frequency. Or maybe
an octahedron.

If you can picture a high-frequency icosahedron, hence small
triangles; then, instead of flat triangles, tetrahedra; their
flat faces joined to make the outside of the dome; the "points"
then would be pointing inward; these points interconnected by
tensioned cables....

(Not sure if I'm responding to the right part of this post;
I couldn't find anything in it that wasn't previously quoted,
but I found quoted text that I had not seen previously in this
thread.)

Trick question: given that a geodesic icosahedron comprises
hexagonal vertices and pentagonal vertices, and that there
are a great many more vertices in a high-frequency geodesic,
how many pentagonal vertices would there be in a hemispherical
100v dome?

jmr     macdotcalm at mac dot com    www.looknfeel.com