Domebook 3

Dan et al,

Have I mentioned what a great idea this is? I've already written a short dome history for Everything Magazine, a british art magazine. I've attached it to this message to save you all a trip to London.

I have a few reports that I'd love to do: Drop City; an interview with Lloyd Kahn, and a report on the Red Rockers. I also have plenty of dome pictures to scatter throughtout the book. We should probably find a designer to give the book some cohesiveness.

Who's going to do the technical stuff? It was such an important part of the other Domebooks, it seemed to make it more than just a record. Maybe some professional domebuilders (Darrell at Natural Habitat, James at Good Karma) would be interested in contributing?

We need a deadline. How about June 1st? Where do we send things?

Oscar

>Thanks to those of you who have sent messages regarding the "Domebook
>3" idea. Although nominations for titles are still very much open,
>for now I'll call it "Domes for the Third Millenium".
>
>I've been working on a list of sections, just to get the big picture
>on what the coverage could be and what order in which things might be
>presented - mostly in the way of getting organized. How this could
>play out in the text is another matter. For example, it might be
>useful to have a good list of "landmark" domes that are still around,
>although they could be strewn throughout the book, rather than packed
>into a distinct section. Since nobody wants stuffy formality, there is
>at least one section devoted to narratives and will probably use a
>format similar to Domebook 2.
>
>Once I get the list in shape I'll post some of those ideas, but if
>anyone has some material they'd like to see, suggestions are welcome.
>
>I'm also thinking about how to get the right mix of cooperation,
>compromise and creativity. It would be nice to have as few rules and
>restrictions as possible, but unles this works as a total
>free-for-all, there may be a few we have to live with, and hopefully
>won't drive people away.
>
>Additional thoughts -
> I had an interesting conversation with someone who's been in the
>dome business quite a while. One interesting point came up about the
>failure of dome designs to work their way into schools of
>architecture, resulting in a paucity of material for builders. It
>would be one thing for the materials to be available to builders, but
>hear "no demand" from the consumer end, but it is a *real* shame if
>homebuyers ask for domes but the builders decline citing a lack of
>support - and there being some of truth to that. We also discussed
>the conference to take place in England (once every seven years) on
>space structures - I'm going to look into that. He was kind enough to
>send the web site:
>http://www.surrey.ac.uk/CivEng/research/ssrc/conference.htm Any of
>you Europeans thinking of going locally?
>
>More later.
>
>-Dan G.

Join the world?s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here