Re: Domes for the third millenium - coverage

J & D Goldman wrote:

> One interesting point came up about the failure of
> dome designs to work their way into schools of
> architecture, resulting in a paucity of material for
> builders.  It would be one thing for the materials
> to be available to builders, but hear "no demand"
> from the consumer end, but it is a *real* shame if
> homebuyers ask for domes but the builders decline
> citing a lack of support - and there being some of
> truth to that.

That raises an interesting point.

Getting basic, low-cost emergency housing to needy places is
a worthwhile goal, but it's not our only goal. And it
doesn't necessarily address the audience we want to win
over.

What if we *could* make available pre-fab, lightweight,
strong, rigid, inexpensive building panels that easily fit
together using, if not the "standard" frame-carpentry
methods used in box houses, at least a building method that
is as easily approached by the owner-builder (but better
suited to dome-building)....

I'm thinking of a hexagonal mesh in the shape of a
triangular panel -- that might look like a thick
chicken-wire (thickenwire?). Each panel would be a section
of a dome of given diameter. A similar approach has worked
for years (decades) for farmers' grain bins and silos; it's
just never been geodesic. Size the panels to fit in the bed
of a pickup truck. Make different panels to hold windows,
doors, vents, awnings, etc. Some of the wall panels could
have shelving or cabinetry built into them (or engineered to
accept pre-made parts for shelving/cabinetry).

Seems like the first step, then, is to figure out what size
dome would best serve this market. How many square feet of
floor space is generally deemed acceptable for a family of
two adults, 3 kids and a few pets? That's the size dome to
do first.

jmr     macdotcalm at mac dot com      www.looknfeel.com