Re: Catching up

I hope this relates-- one of my favorite architects (besides Bucky, of
course) is the Swiss engineer Heinz Isler (1926-), who is best known for
his thin-shelled concrete domes based on catenary curves.  I looked around
for a good picture site for his works and found one here:

http://www.anc-d.fukui-u.ac.jp/~ishikawa/Aloss/page/Isler_Work.htm

His original design technique appeals to my anti-tech tendencies.  He
would hang damp pieces of cloth outside in the winter around a framework
and let them naturally sag under their own weight.  After they froze, he
would invert them to get the dimensions for his domes.  Even after several
decades, his domes have not developed cracks and are still weatherproof.
(I'm sure nowadays he and his staff use computer-aided design.)

Spencer Hunter, Tucson, AZ
gopher://www.u.arizona.edu:80/hGET%20/%7Eshunter