[Domesteading 00464] Re: Rebar dome

J & D Goldman jmgoldma at dwx.com
Mon Nov 2 19:55:39 PST 2009

Sal,
  My initial interest in rebar was partly due to the fact that it
seemed ignored (or overlooked?) by almost all of the dome information
I've reviewed over the years.  Sometimes territory like that leads to
discovery, although sometimes after the exploration one discovers
nothing of any value.  Just didn't know which way it would go with
this one.

  Yes, for starters, I was thinking about this primarily for smaller
sheds, utility buildings, maybe garage, etc. and not as much for
larger structures or dwellings.  For one thing, rebar is sometimes
available as scrap, and once again, domes can be built of short pieces
of waste that are unsuitable for use in more traditional structures.

The hook idea occurred to me as well. Once bent to the axial angle,
these could be joined as struts and fastened at any given face angle.
This does confer a certain simplicity (think "Simplicity Domes" from
discussions in the past) to construction by eliminating "the hub" as a
separate structual component. A hub can be a real speed bump for
domes, especially if one gets into ellipicals or some dome that
requires more than 2 or 3 hubs.  Rebar lends itself to this building
approach better many other common and inexpensive materials.  It is
also lends itself to disassembly and reassembly better than some
others as well.  In a pinch, some of the hook bends could be adjusted
to allow pieces to be reused, but there might be some strength-loss
issues if that is overplayed.  I built a model of this out of tie-wire
and it was quite stable.  I may try one from 3/8 and see how it goes
together and holds up.  Sure, it could be welded, and actually some of
the newer adhesives that are being used to replace rivets might work
well also if the rust isn't an issue, although I was thinking of some
other ways of joining the "axial hubs" so they could be dissembled if
desired. I was thinking of coating the rebar with some of that
elastomer they use on roofing to see if it would stick and "soften up"
the surface to be more compatible with materials like clear poly - for
a small greenhouse.

If there are more ideas out there, I'd be interesting in hearing them.
If I use Rustoleum, I'll be thinking of Sal's spindles...

cheers - Dan G.