Chrysler-Daimler merger to hasten dawn of fuel cells.

Found this in today's ClariNews. NOW I know why Ballard's stock
quintupled last year! :-)

Pat

>                    Chrysler-Daimler merger to hasten dawn of fuel
> [Image]
>                                               Story from AFP / Gerard
>  Related topics:                                             Aziakou
>                    Thursday,                 Copyright 1998 by Agence
>  o biz.industry.ene14-May-1998 9:36AM    France-Presse (via ClariNet)
>  o biz.industry.aut----------------------------------------------------
>  o biz.mergers
>                    DETROIT, Michigan, May 14 (AFP) - The merger of US
>                    automaker Chrysler with Germany's Daimler-Benz will
> Related Links:     hasten development of "green" cars powered by
> For additional     efficient fuel cells that extract hydrogen from
> information, use   liquid fuels, industry analysts said.
> these links or
> links in the       The two companies have been separately spearheading
> article.           research into fuel cell technology, a revolutionary
> o  Autos: Test     electric power-generating system billed as the most
>    Drive           promising alternative to the internal combustion
> o  Electric Power  engine.
>    Research
>    Institute       Daimler has been testing a fuel-cell prototype
>                    based on a small Mercedes A-class subcompact car,
> o  Environmental   while Chrysler is developing a fuel processor that
>    Protection      can extract hydrogen from gasoline aboard the
>    Agency          vehicle.
> o  Turbozine
> o  Wieck Photo     "It's a very important initiative for us," said
>    Database:       Steve Rossi, a New Jersey-based spokesman for
>    Mercedes-Benz   Daimler-Benz. But he could not say how the proposed
>                    merger would affect the project.
>
> Search the         At Chrysler, spokesman Scott Fosgard kept mum on
> Internet:          future collaboration in the field. Next year,
> No search forms    Chrysler engineers expect to unveil a demonstration
> to fill out:       engine that is 90 percent cleaner than an internal
> these links lead   combustion engine and improves fuel efficiency by
> straight to        50 percent.
> results pages at
> various search     But industry analysts agree that the
> sites.             Daimler-Chrysler union eventually will bring a
>                    joint collaboration in the technology, at a time
> Search the Web     when other carmakers -- notably General Motors and
> Search the Web     Toyota -- are racing to put their own fuel cell
> for pages          cars on the road by the middle of the next decade.
> related to this
> article.           "There's tremendous potential there for both
> o  HotBot          companies (Chrysler and Daimler) to hook up in this
> o  Infoseek        very exciting technology and thus save on research
>                    costs," said Eric Hood, a Detroit-based auto
> Search Web News    analyst.
> Sites
> Search various     Hood told AFP that prospects for commercial fuel
> [...]

	   Patrick G. Salsbury - http://www.sculptors.com/~salsbury/
      Check out the Reality Sculptors Project: http://www.sculptors.com/
	       We ARE as gods and might as well get good at it.
				-- Stewart Brand, Whole Earth Catalog