Re: Land Needed for a Geodesic "Earth Base" City - 5000 acres +

(CC'd to the future-studies list. Check your headers when replying!)

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:33:59PM -0500, TheDomeShop at aol dot com wrote:

> The time is nigh to think of the possibilities of building an Earth Base much
> like the ones NASA Scientist have designed for the moon and Mars. It is now
> within the ability of technologies developed over the past centuries to avoid
> a harsh enviroament encountered on earth and live a life unscathed by a
> hostile atmosphere and weather pattern.
>
> David C. Martin III
> SeaTreck.com
	I agree. In fact, I've thought for years about building some sort
of domed city out in a desert area, terraforming the inside into a lush,
tropical forest or what-have-you.
	Another idea was to take a city like that, and deliberately set the
*time* of the city ahead maybe 50 or 100 years. Sort of like
"TomorrowLand" in Disney World, but without the commercial/amusement park
aspect to it. It would actually be more like a Star Trek set, where things
were designed in a futuristic fashion, people would dress in a futuristic
fashion, and we would *do* things in a futuristic fashion (rethinking
everything from the work-a-day world, to how we produced food, to how we
taught students.
	In fact, I thought about the notion of teaching current events as
though they were history. You bring a bunch of students in, sort of "warp"
them into this fantastic future city, as though they really had gone
forward in time. You then teach about things like the constant Middle East
bickering and the debates about censoring internet content as though they
were World War II (or WWI). You look at current problems as though they
were something old, that's already been solved, and then explore with the
students how *they* would have handled that problem.
	-"What sort of technologies would you have deployed to solve the
hunger problems in Burma?"
	-"How would you have quickly and efficiently housed the 1 million
people that were left homeless in India by the quake in 2001?"
	-"If you had the resources and talented people available, how would
you have addressed the disease issues that arose from a lack of clean, safe
drinking water supplies in Central America?"

	After a certain point (perhaps start them young, in elementary
school, and when they graduate college, they've prepared their whole lives
for this sort of stuff), let them know that they *do* have access to the
resources and talented people in the Future-City, as well as agents in the
field, and that they can draw upon those resources to solve problems in
creative ways.
	Then, when they're ready to venture out, you "warp" them "back" in
time to what the rest of the world considers current, and help them to
solve their problems, rather than muddle along with them as they've done
for centuries.

	I've long been a proponent of "if you build it, they will come."
Futuristic, Sci-Fi imagery filles our culture, and yet we still have masses
of people shopping at K-Mart, eating at McDonald's, and driving around in
cars that either look like they came from the 1970's, or *are* from that
time period.
	If we design & build something more akin to Syd Mead's
(http://www.sydmead.com/) vision of the future, I think we'll have no
problem populating it with a bunch of future-philes who have had enough of
K-mart & crew. And when you get a bunch of folks like that together, and
shift their time-perspective, who knows what will happen? :-)