[geodesic 00622] Re: curved struts

Stephen M. Levin smlevin at biotensegrity.com
Wed Mar 31 15:39:11 PST 2010

Dick,

I thought I already sent this, but it must have gotten lost.

In an ideal tensegrity, tension and compression are separated and  struts are pure compression elements. Any column under compression develops internal shear and tends to bow in the middle, re: Euler's buckling law.Theoretically, a strut would have pure compression running strait down its central core and no tensile component, a line with only one dimension, otherwise you would have shear and bending moments that are intolerable in a true tensegrity.  Bows are tensed on their convex side and compressed on their concave side, tension and compression are  not separated and, therefore, bows cannot be part of true tensegrities. All man made tensegrities are imperfect, as the only true tensegrities would be infinitely hierarchical.   Biologic structures are infinitely hierarchical, at least at the mesoscale where they operate. To illustrate  this point, Tom Flemons made a bow and a wheel using tensegrity principles http://gallery.me.com/stephenlevin1#100069, but you have to imagine that this goes on infinitely, with each compression strut a tensegrity tower, and so on ad infinitum. Fuller does discuss this hierarchy somewhere in Synergetics, but I am too lazy to research it. The use of curved struts by intent is contrary to the principles of tensegrity and you are compounding the imperfections of man, but they do look nice.

Steve