Incredibly nice 3D graphics & sci-fi/futurist visualization

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

To: salsbury at sculptors dot com
Subject: Incredibly nice 3D graphics & sci-fi/futurist visualization
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:11:46 -0800
From: Patrick Salsbury <salsbury at bootstrap dot sculptors dot com>

(This is being sent to the various Reality Sculptors lists, but I've
tweaked the headers so that when you reply it won't try to post to
lists you're not already on, thus saving you lots of annoying bounce
messages about not being subscribed... :-)  )

	A friend just pointed me to the following site the other day, and I was
blown away by the detailed graphics and amazing visions that the
artists had created there. The site is the Open Mind Creative
Partnership, at http://www.omcp.com/ It's a collection of writers and
artists who are collaborating to produce stories and pictures in a
variety of genres.

	I've only begun to scratch the surface of the site, but
wanted to share it with the rest of you, to fuel your imaginations.
I'd like to get some of those folks in touch with some of you folks,
as I think there'd be good cross-pollenation. I'd also love to start
producting imagery like they have to convey more of the things we
discuss on the various lists. If you just browse through their pages,
you'll have a very quick and detailed picture of some of the things
they're into. I think we can do the same thing here.

	And anyway, it looks really cool, which is always pretty
important. :-)

	The ones I took particular note of were in the "Galleries"
section, under "Omni Universal Encyclopedia", in the "Buildings"
category. It's a great representative slice of the sorts of things
Reality Sculpting is all about: airships, futuristic cities homes and
vehicles, space colonies, etc.

	It seems like we've got lots of local talent, and a flair for
design and engineering. Now we need to find ways to convey those
visions quickly and easily to large numbers of people who aren't
necessarily going to pour through engineering docs and long-winded
posts like mine. :-)

	I have found that the graphics work I've been doing for the
autonomous house project has really helped in explaining the basic
concepts to people, and quickly bringing them up to speed. I know
from long practice that it often takes several hours (and many beers!
;^)  ) to properly explain in detail what the whole autonomous house
concept is to people who aren't familiar with it. Now, with the
graphics tools I've been learning, I've found that time reduced to 5
or 10 minutes. It quickly gets people thinking about the idea, and
asking new questions.

	I think we can learn a lot from how the OMCP folks are
expressing their ideas pictorially, along with all the prose. I would
encourage folks to take a dig through their site. It looks to be a
treasure trove.

Pat

------- End of Blind-Carbon-Copy